When you apply for our residency program please use the ACGME# 1203521706. We are listed under the formal program name Hofstra Northwell School of Medicine at Phelps Hospital Program, Sleepy Hollow, New York
All applications must be submitted through the Electronic Residency Application Service, ERAS.
If you have problems with this link, please paste the following address into your browser: http://bit.ly/1LziKgL
Phelps Family Medicine Residency Program Selection Criteria
Applications for residency must be submitted through Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). Residents are selected through the National Residency Matching Program (NRMP). The criteria below are the minimum criteria for entering residents. All pre-requisite prior training must be successfully completed prior to beginning residency. The residency reserves the right to limit the number of interviews and to change the selection criteria:
- Graduated medical school within 3 years of start of residency from:
- Allopathic medical schools in the U.S. or Canada accredited by the LCME
- Osteopathic medical schools in the United States accredited by the AOA
- Passed USMLE/Comlex both Step I and II-Clinical Knowledge by the second attempt and passed Step II-Clinical Skills on the first attempt.
- Letters of recommendation from a minimum of 3 physicians practicing in the United States. Letters from family medicine or primary care physicians are strongly favored.
- Exceptional interpersonal communication skills, with the ability to read, write, and speak English fluently
- Meet the requirements for New York state medical licensure.
- All candidates must be able to fulfill the stipulations of the residency contract.
- The residency is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate with regard to gender, race, age, religion, color, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, age, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, veteran status or any other legally protected status.
Phelps Family Medicine Residency Program is a pioneering effort – an innovative and altogether new kind of residency designed to cultivate the talents, knowledge and skills of the next generation of outstanding family doctors.
It takes a certain kind of person to be a great family doctor. And we are looking for an inspired few to join us in leading the way.
We seek those with a great passion for family medicine and an eagerness to embrace a dynamic challenge, as this imaginative program will surely be. Residents of this program appreciate the satisfaction they receive by applying their energies into an endeavor that has meaning, a kind of mission of sorts.
You are familiar with the process of collaborating with others to create a result that is greater than the sum of its parts. You, your colleagues and the entire community of teachers that will assist and support your education will be the ones paving this new road together.
As a resident, you will play a substantial role in shaping and defining the program itself. Your feedback will be an essential element in helping to consistently course correct and provide you with the experiences that you find are the most valuable to your comprehensive medical education.
Residents of this program need to possess strong communications skills alongside a desire to provide leadership in our healthcare system.
-Applicants begin applying to ACGME-accredited residency programs
-ACGME-accredited residency programs begin contacting the ERAS Post Office to download applications
October 1- MSPEs are released to residency programs
Our program begins interviewing applicants
Our program interviews continue
December 20-Applications should be received by our program
Programs and applicants input the rank order list of preferred applicants (for the program) and preferred program (for the applicant) into the NRMP (National Resident Matching Program).
Deadline to enter rank order list into NRMP
Mid-March-Match Day! Programs and applicants are informed of matches.
Mid-June: Phelps Family Medicine Residency Program residents begin orientation.